Phone: 212 520 1686
Accomable: Making Housing Accessible
Accomable is an accommodations website that aims to to help people with disabilities find accessible housing online. Made by two men with disabilities, they were frustrated by a lack of information on accessible lodging on the internet.
Accomable lists things that people look for in terms of accessibility, and whether or not a certain property has them. Things such as “step-free access to a bathroom” can make a huge difference for people with limited mobility. Other attributes include:
- Number of bedrooms that have step-free access
- Step-free access to property
- Step-free access to a bedroom
- Roll in shower
- Grab rails in the bathroom
- Facilities for individuals with a visual impairment
- Facilities for individuals with a hearing impairment
Accomable currently has over 100 properties listed, and is hoping to make a larger presence in the United States. Next time you go on vacation, maybe you’ll consider putting your property on Accomable.